A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Monday, July 22, 2019

More Simplicity 1887 shorts


Handmade olive green linen/viscose/lycra shorts made from Veronica Beard fabric and the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.

I do love a good TNT, so it shouldn't be too surprising that I'm here blogging my eighth and ninth makes from the Simplicity 1887 pattern.  In 2016, I used the pattern to make four pairs of shorts and two skirts (see here and here). Those items constituted the backbone of my summer wardrobe for three years.  Now none of them fit (and some are looking a bit raggedy for wear), including the black linen skirt I made from the pattern earlier this year.


Handmade olive green linen/viscose/lycra shorts made from Veronica Beard fabric and the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.

As I've noted before, this pattern runs crazy big.  My current measurements are 31.5 waist/41.5 hip, putting me into an 18 (which has a finished hip measurement of 49.5").  I cut a 14 (which finished at 45.5"),  shortened the front crotch 1" and scooped out the back curve 3/4", lowering it 1/4" at the inseam.  I also lengthened the shorts 1.5".

The green pair is made from the leftovers of this awesome stretch linen/viscose woven that I used to make this Portfolio dress.  I love the fit of these shorts so much. I went shopping with my sister-in-law shortly after returning to Virginia, and I tried on several pairs of shorts.  I found nothing that I would even consider wearing in public - the fit was just terrible on all of them.  I guess this is why I spent 24 years not wearing shorts - I've never had much luck with them in RTW.

Handmade olive green linen/viscose/lycra shorts made from Veronica Beard fabric and the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.

I made the black pair in preparation for our trip to Cartagena over Memorial Day weekend.  I managed to squeeze the pattern pieces out of a long, narrow remnant of cupro twill that was leftover from my latest Calyer pants by piecing the back waistband and using a different scrap fabric for the front yoke facing.  The remnant was about 2 yards long and 20" wide at the narrowest part. 

Black cupro twill shorts handmade from the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.

This pattern features front pleats and pockets, a flat front yoke and an elasticated back waist.  Some people have eliminated the pleats on their versions. I've been meaning to try this, but have not gotten around to it yet.

I slimmed down the leg a little on this pair; the weight of the fabric made them hang differently than the green pair.

Black cupro twill shorts handmade from the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.

I had grand visions of gorgeous photos in the walled city, but I had two sick children during the trip and no good pictures were taken.  Sad, because there are some beautiful photos to be taken in Cartagena.  Instead, you get photos from my dad's front yard.

Black cupro twill shorts handmade from the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.

I'm sure I'll be back next year with a few more pairs of this beloved TNT pattern.  As always, thanks for reading, and see you next time!

Shorts made from the Simplicity 1887 sewing pattern.



5 comments:

  1. Super cute shorts! It really is hard to find a nice pair in RTW. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I recently went shopping for the first time in ages and tried on several pairs - they all fit horribly!

      Delete
  2. These are lovely. How did you go about slimming the leg? Did you take out extra from the side seams or from the inseam too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I slimmed them from the side seam because they were a bit balloony due to the fabric.

      Delete
  3. Those black shorts! They are great on you. I haven’t yet tried making my own shorts, but I might soon, given that I too cannot stand the fit of any rtw and live in Florida.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!