Then my sister asked me to sew a summer nightgown for my niece. She had outgrown the one I sewed her three years ago. I had just enough of the gauze left for the job. Again I was ambivalent. I thought, this will use up the cut and it is the perfect weight for a summer nightgown. So off I went.
Once again, I fell in love with the fabric. Which is serendipitous given that FabricMart just got more in. I'm thinking of ordering another couple of yards.
The pattern is Kwik Sew 3423, which I sewed before here and here. I made a size 4 (my niece actually wears a 5 or a 6 but the pattern is roomy). I made a couple of adjustments. First, the pattern calls for 1/4" seam allowances which I don't like - little girls tend to jump around and put pressure on the bodice/skirt seam. Several of the other nightgowns I made using this pattern ended up with holes there. So now I alter the pattern pieces to allow for a 1/2" seam allowance there. I sewed the seam with my sewing machine, then serged the edges without trimming for a second line of stitching.
The pattern calls for finishing the neckline and the armholes with lace edging which is zig-zagged to the raw edge to prevent raveling. I finished the neckline with invisible bias instead.
My final issue with the pattern has to do with the button placket on the back. The pattern calls for folding the placket over and then applying interfacing to the edge. The raw edge of the fabric+interfacing is then just left raw. I finished it with my serger but in the future I think I'll add 1/4" to either side so that I can fold the raw edges under and topstitch. I don't know why they don't do that in the pattern.
Z agreed to model her cousin's nightie for me before we gave it away. Her cousin is just a tiny bit shorter than she is. If i had had more fabric I would have lengthened it a bit, but I figure it will fit this year and next.