A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Corduroy Tillery Skirt

The skirt I'm showing off today has already become a wardrobe staple.  This is the new Tillery Skirt from Blank Slate Patterns, which I tested earlier this fall.  I've worn it at least once a week since completing it, with flats and a t-shirt or a button-down.  And although I'm not dying for the weather to cool off, I am looking forward to wearing it with boots once the temperature drops.  


The fabric calls for a non-stretch woven, but I really wanted to use this corduroy that has been hanging out in the stash since we lived in Tbilisi.  It's a stretch cotton corduroy, but is fairly stiff and stable, so I figured it would work ok (and it did).  I sewed a size 14 according to my measurements, and ended up taking a wedge out of the waistband (1/2" at the top, 1/4" at the bottom), doing a sway-back adjustment and adding 1.5" of length to the knee-length view of the pattern (I am 5'8").


The skirt has three views - mini, knee-length and midi.  It features a snap-front, seven flat-felled seams, pockets and five belt loops.  The skirt is a pretty quick sew despite all the flat-felled seams.  I was also pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to install the heavy duty snaps (I used these).  I changed up the suggested snap placement a little bit to provide more snap coverage at the fullest part of my belly, where the placket wants to gape open.


The pattern is designed to sit at the natural waist, which I was a bit skeptical about, as my natural waist is super-high and I never wear anything there.  But I actually really like wearing the skirt with a tucked-in button-down.  After completing the corduroy one, I made a denim one, which must have gotten stretched out during sewing because it sits considerably lower than the first skirt.  And I find I don't wear it nearly as often.


I also messed up the snap placement on the denim skirt, and it gapes a bit towards the top of the placket.  I keep meaning to sew a snap on the inside, but honestly I will probably end up donating this skirt.


The purple one, though, is a winner.  Here are a few more photos of it.




 Thanks for reading, and see you next time!
SaveSave

9 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I LOOOOOOOOVE this skirt, Masha! It's so hip (and a little 70s) in that corduroy. The perfect fall/winter skirt! I really like the denim one too, and I think it looks good sitting both high on your waist and low on your waist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking great! I love the corduroy one in particular. What snaps did you use? I need to get into snaps and I'm not sure which ones to buy and what tool is best for applying them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used these snaps: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000YQER3G/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507029947&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dritz+heavy+duty+snaps&dpPl=1&dpID=414rdSnw3SL&ref=plSrch

      They come with a doodad to attach them and you just need a hammer. By far the easiest snap/rivet/button installation I've ever done.

      Delete
  3. Oh well done! The cord skirt is just perfect! I really love that color. It is one of the colors in my fall palette every year. It goes with so many things!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That corduroy skirt is amazing!! I have some camel corduroy in my stash and I want to make a button front skirt with it. This pattern would probably be perfect for it. The color of yours is so pretty. I can see why you’ve been wearing it on a weekly basis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That purple corduroy skirt is beautiful, great material and a great pattern. It's a shame the denim one doesn't work quite so well, but it is still a nice skirt. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pattern!! it definitely makes for such a versatile skirt. the denim one looks good to me, but I especially love the purple one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this skirt so much! It looks great on you and I especially love the eggplant corduroy version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this, what a beautiful skirt.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!