It has been eight days since my husband's stroke. Unfortunately, he is still in the hospital. We are hoping that he will be discharged early next week. After that he will move to an inpatient rehabilitation facility, where he will hopefully relearn to move his left arm and leg.
Life is so uncertain, even if we don't always realize it.
The girls went to visit their father on Monday, after he was moved out of intensive care. Zoia did not have much to say. Natasha observed that Papa "can't get out of bed, and his voice is different." Gabriel still hasn't seen him, which we hope to remedy tomorrow.
He has spent a lot of time cuddling Niko.
I don't blame him. Niko is so sweet-tempered.
A rare sort of consolation in difficult circumstances.
Between spending 5-6 hours a day at the hospital and trying to nurse the baby as much as I can, I haven't had much time for anything else. But last night I found myself with a quiet house after the kids went to bed, so I went down to the sewing dungeon and dug out some knits.
Natasha has been asking for more leggings - they are the most comfortable thing for her to wear due to the eczema. So I made two more pairs of Playtime leggings.
I love this pattern so much. I've lost count of how many pairs of leggings I've made - but it's probably pretty close to 20 at this point.
I used my new favorite waistband method - I serged the long end of the elastic to the top of the leggings, then turned under and topstitched. This time I did two rows of straight topstitching through the elastic, stretching the elastic as I sewed with a long stitch length. I absolutely love the finish and am hoping it will prove durable. They are a slightly cropped ankle length for summer, finished with a rolled edge to avoid hemming.
Zoia had requested a maxi skirt, so I made one of those, too. As she was asleep, I just guessed on the measurements. I probably could have made it a little fuller, but it's cute as is too. I used the same waistband method on the skirt, and finished the hem with a rolled edge.
My model, though thrilled to pieces about her skirt, was unenthused about posing for photos.
And finally I made a couple of pacifier leashes out of linen scraps. The clips are from eBay and the snaps are resin from Kam Snaps. I applied the snaps in a hurry and totally messed up the colors. The front of the brown linen was supposed to have a yellow snap and the blue linen was meant to have a blue snap.
Somehow I mixed them up and put them on the back.
But they do what they're supposed to. Here's an action shot.
Sewing and babies: balms for the soul.