A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Sunday, November 24, 2019

Capsule travel wardrobe: Family wedding

Earlier this month we flew to Virginia for 10 days to attend my brother's wedding. The trip coincided with a cold front that plunged temperatures into the high 30s and low 40s. I needed to pack for casual hanging out with family and friends, two weekends at church, a rehearsal luncheon and a wedding. 

What to pack for a 10-day trip. Capsule travel wardrobe.


From left to right, here's what I packed:

Top row: a store-bought dark gray sweatshirt, my burgundy wool Blackwood Cardigan, two Renfrew cowl-neck tees (one striped rayon jersey and the other navy French terry), a RTW scarf, my Blank Slate Peppermint PJ pants, and a cotton Plantain Tee that I use as a PJ top.

Middle row: A RTW navy blue cashmere cardigan that used to belong to my grandfather,  my red and navy plaid hacked Gallery Tunic, my DIBY Club Anna skirt and a pair of RTW Gap jeans, my black rayon McCalls 6996 cardigan, the green lace dress I bought to wear for the wedding, and my metallic knit Lisbon cardigan.

Bottom row: A pair of black cotton RTW leggings, a pair of Liana Jeans and my blue flowered Appleton Dress.

So that's:

1 set of pjs
4 tops
4 cardigans (two dressy)
2 dresses
1 skirts
2 pairs jeans
1 pair leggings

If I hadn't been going for a wedding, I would have left out the dresses and the two dressy cardigans, for a total of 11 items. But I needed something to wear for the rehearsal luncheon as well as for the wedding.

And here's how I wore them:

What to pack for a 10-day trip. Capsule travel wardrobe.

All of these tops and cardigans were made before I lost weight, so I altered both Renfrews, the M6996 and the Lisbon cardigan the week before I left on the trip. In all cases I just nipped in the side seams from the hem, up past the armscye, ending a few inches down the sleeve.  The Blackwood and the hacked Gallery Tunic are well fitted in the shoulders and didn't need to be altered; they're just a little slouchy, which I like.

What to pack for a 10-day trip. Capsule travel wardrobe.

We had left all of our heavy jackets at my father's house in Virginia when we moved to Bogota, so we did not need to bring those along.  I wore my brown riding boots and packed a pair of leopard print heels to wear with the green dress. I also ordered a pair of black heeled booties to arrive at my dad's house because I needed something to go with the blue dress and my black heels had finally died after 15 years of wear. In the end I never wore my leopard heels - I decided to wear the booties with the green dress too, because it was so cold on the wedding day!

What to pack for a 10-day trip. Capsule travel wardrobe.

I was pretty happy with this capsule. I felt like I had everything I needed for sufficient variety. I only liked to wear the navy cowl neck with the Gap jeans, and not with any of the other bottoms I brought, but I don't own a lot of warm clothes anymore so I needed to bring it for practicality's sake.

And that about sums it up. As always, thanks for reading, and see you next time!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous.
    What a beautiful photo of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the booties! I'm in the market, where did you find them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, this comment did not get sent to me for moderation for some reason! The booties are these: https://amzn.to/2Yf9GKB. I have another pair of heels that is this same "model" and they're really comfortable, as are the booties. Highly recommend!

      Delete
  3. Great capsule!! I love that picture of you and your hubs in your fancy clothes. :) I hope you had a fantastic visit back home!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!