A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Sunday, October 13, 2019

Peppermint PJ pants

Sew a pair of cozy pajama pants with the Blank Slate Patterns Peppermint PJ sewing pattern.

Last month I tested the new Peppermint PJ pants from Blank Slate Patterns.  A new pair of pajama pants has been on my sewing list for two years now. In 2018, one of my sewing goals was to make two new pairs of pajama pants. I made one pair of modified Simplicity 1563 pants (using the same fabric as this pair, actually). I wear those a lot, but I still needed another pair (or two). And that pair does not have pockets, so I jumped at  the chance to make a pair that does.

Sew a pair of cozy pajama pants with the Blank Slate Patterns Peppermint PJ sewing pattern.

These elastic waist pj pants are a size large according to my measurements (31.5-41.5").  I had to scoop out the back curve 1" to make room for my low bottom. I also straightened out the hip, since I don't have much curve in that area.   

Sew a pair of cozy pajama pants with the Blank Slate Patterns Peppermint PJ sewing pattern.

I did not lengthen the pants (I am 5'8"), but I should have. I also should have lengthened the back rise about 3/4" or so. The next time I make these, I'd also like to alter the proportions of the pant leg and cuff, to make the cuff about an inch shorter, and the pants about an inch longer overall.  These pants are super-cozy, so I've been wearing them a ton, and I want to make another pair in a lighter cotton before we move again. 

Sew a pair of cozy pajama pants with the Blank Slate Patterns Peppermint PJ sewing pattern.

I used some stashed flannel for both the main fabric and the cuffs. The main flannel is a Valori Wells print that I think is probably a quilting flannel. It's quite thick and warm. The cuffs are made from remnant bin Joann's flannel.

The Peppermint PJ pattern includes shorts as well, which I made up when I was muslining the pattern.  I loved the way the shorts muslin looked, and I think I will use the pattern to make summer shorts in the future.  The pattern also includes a long- or short-sleeved knit raglan top, which I didn't test.

The construction of the pattern is very straightforward and it doesn't take very long to sew. I know I will be sewing more of these in the future. As always, thanks for reading, and see you next time!

Sew a pair of cozy pajama pants with the Blank Slate Patterns Peppermint PJ sewing pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!