A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Birthday Gift

I am still frantically sewing flower girl and ring bearer get-ups (three of the former and two of the latter, with a self-imposed deadline of June 1 - eep!).  But a dear friend's baby girl turned 1 this weekend so I took a break to sew her a gift.  I thought about just buying clothes, but this particular friend is one of those people who truly appreciates sewing, and I really wanted to make something.


So I turned to my new standard baby girl gift - a sundress sewn from the Oliver+S Music Box pattern.  I did not lengthen the bodice this time, but I did gather the skirt again.  I really love how this looks.  I used the quilty FabricMart print that I used for older sister's circle skirt (and I still have more than a yard, so you'll be seeing it again).

I used piping for the first time.  I didn't bother to look up any tutorials, just winged it.  It worked out fine except I was left with a raw edge on either side of the bodice (maybe I was supposed to fold it over?) that I had to stitch over by hand with black thread to secure).  Teach me to try to figure it out on my own!


I did multiple rows of decorative topstitching at the hem in different colors, but the print sort of swallows them up.  I wish I had gone with my original plan of horizontal knife pleats at the hem.  Next time.



To top off the look, I made a quick headband out of fold over elastic with a bow out of the same fabric.



My friend loved it.  I can't wait to see it on the baby!

10 comments:

  1. I would be very happy to receive this for my girls. I like the colours in the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love that fabric, and the pattern is so classy (I've used it for my girls, too). To answer your question: Yes, we call my little Maria "Masha" (it's one of her many nicknames, and I just love it even though we're not Russian :D). Her patron saint is the Theotokos.

    I hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric is beautiful - the outfit looks great. Such a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I also have a "go to" gift for girls which is a Geranium dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is adorable. I love the music box pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the hem- it gives it something extra and a little wow factor. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love it! What a great gift! I love the fabric you chose and the dress is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a lovely birthday present, I love the piping you did, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! What a lovely gift!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!