A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Sunday, October 27, 2019

10 real-life sewing rooms


I love a good sewing room tour. Since we move so often, I get to set up a new sewing room every few years, and I guess that's why I never tire of reading about other people's sewing spaces. I've rounded up some of my favorites from the Internet - and they're not all picture-perfect Pinterest spaces. In addition to the coveted dedicated sewing room, I've included some small sewing spaces and some shared sewing spaces (which is the category that most of my sewing spaces have fallen into).

Read on for inspiration!


Dedicated sewing rooms


Brittany J. Jones has a video tour of her bright and airy sewing space on her blog. I love the peg board and the IKEA tables (which are the same ones I have).



Two houses ago, I was lucky enough to have a room all to myself. It was in the windowless basement, but that didn't keep it from being my happy place.



Christen's sewing room is so cheerful! It took me a minute to realize that one wall is mirrored. I love the effect of the thread organizer hanging on the mirrored wall with its reflection behind it. And isn't her sewing machine cover gorgeous?


Staci's dedicated sewing room is so organized. The shelving and workspace were purpose-built, and I'm a bit envious of the lighting over her work area!

Of course, not everyone has the luxury of a large dedicated room to work in!


Small space sewing rooms


Rachel at Stitched in Color recently blogged about her small sewing space in her new home in the Netherlands.  She has a lot of great tips for making the most of a small space - check out the shelving she installed in the triangular cut-out in the wall next to her sewing table.

Tiny, but with a lovely view.
I found Laura's small sewing room in a blog post entitled "The Sewing Room That Wouldn't Make it on Pinterest," but I have to say I disagree.  Her rose-colored room is adorable, and totally Pinterest-worthy.

But you don't need a room all to yourself to have a great sewing space. I have found some great shared sewing spaces on the Internet as well.


Shared Space Sewing Areas


sewing room inspiration
Sewing room tucked into the corner of a
basement family/homeschool room.
Bonnie's 30-sq-ft sewing corner is tucked into the corner of a basement family/homeschool room. I love how she has decorated the walls to really define the space.

Pretty shared sewing room with lots of natural light and a view.

This is my current sewing nook, which is on one side of the bedroom I share with my husband.  Though to be perfectly honest, this bedroom is so large that it hardly qualifies as a shared space. I have plenty of room to spread out.

Sewing room/guest room
Suzie shares her adorable sewing space with a guest bed. She's managed to pack everything she needs into this room and still have room for guests. Don't you love her matching aqua chair and curtains?




I love this cozy shared living room sewing nook used by @berengenalila on IG. She has a lot more photos of it on her Instagram account - they are the very definition of the word "hygge."

I hope you have enjoyed this tour of real-life sewing spaces. I'd love to do a couple more of these round-ups in the future. If you've shared your sewing room on your blog or IG, or if you'd like to, let me know! I'd love to see it and maybe pop it into another sewing room tours roundup.

As always, thanks for reading, and see you next time!

1 comment:

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!