Way back when my sister-in-law got engaged, I volunteered to sew the ring bearer and flower girl outfits for the five littles in the ceremony (my offspring account for 60 percent of said littles). I had planned to sew during the end of April and first half of May, but then my mother passed and I went home for the funeral, and honestly I didn't feel much like sewing for awhile. I finally got started about 12 days ago and after some seriously furious sewing, I am done.
I'll be double-posting this project to provide modeled pictures after the Labor Day wedding, but for now here is a sneak peek.
The ring bearers will be wearing Oliver+S Art Museum ensembles. The vests are gray-and-white gingham save for the back, which is khaki twill to match the pants. I really love the effect the gingham has when turned diagonally for the welt pockets. The shirts are store-bought (I really need to be packing), and I made snap-on bow ties for them. This was necessary because the shirts have mandarin collars, but I think it is more comfortable for little boys than a band that goes all the way around the neck.
The flower girls will be wearing dresses made from a mishmash of the Oliver+S Music Box Jumper and Bubble Dress patterns. I used cotton batiste for the outside and voile for the lining. There is also a tulle layer in between the two I made up the pleated cummerbunds as I went along (you can see I was not exactly consistent among the dresses) and added knife pleats at the hems. The cummerbunds become sashes that tie in the back.
Whew! I am beat.