Thursday, February 7, 2019

January 2019


January saw a return of the sew-jo, fueled both by an island vacation and the fact that I got to meet another IG sewist in person.  Actually, I had met her in person, and had a few good conversations, well before discovering that she was a fellow sewist - our daughters are in the same Girl Scout troop.  So funny that we never discussed sewing, but I guess that's not something I tend to talk about with people unless I know they are interested.  Anyway, after making the IG sewing connection, we got coffee and had a real sewing chat and I found myself invigorated and scrapping to carve out some sewing time for myself both before and after our trip.


PROJECTS COMPLETED

1) A test of a not-yet-released t-shirt pattern.  Used 1 yard used of an eggplant cotton/rayon/lycra knit that I bought in February 2018. Completed 1/5/19. Not yet blogged.

2) A beach cover-up for my oldest, made from her dad's worn out old shirt.  This took me about 30 minutes to make and doesn't count for yardage used since it was a refashion.  I simply narrowed the shirt to fit her, leaving the hem length the same, and cut off the sleeves, using the French seam at the armscye as the end of the sleeve so that I would not have to hem anything.  I kept the collar as is. Quick, easy and functional.  Completed 1/13/19. Unblogged.


3) A muslin for a Simplicity 1377 skirt. Normally I would not muslin a skirt like this, but I wasn't sure about the silhouette on my body.  I also had a couple different contenders for final fabric, so I wanted to get a feel for what kind of drape I would want in the skirt, before sewing up the final. In the end, the muslin confirmed that I should not go ahead with the skirt. Glad I muslined. 1 yard used.

4) Another Simplicity 1887 skirt, this time in black linen left over from my long-sleeved Portfolio dress.  This marks my seventh use of this pattern. 1.63 yards used. Blogged here.


5) A highly modified Colette Sorbetto in bright blue linen left over from the Fairfield shirt I made my dad in 2017.  1 yard used plus a scrap for facings. Blogged here.


FABRIC IN/OUT

This month, knowing that I had to account for my fabric shopping in this post actually made me pause on buying fabric a couple of times. I don't expect that to continue.

January Fabric In: 0 yards!
January Fabric Out: 4.63 yards

4 comments:

  1. Yay for the return of the sewjo! :-) "I don't expect that to continue." Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great completed projects. Especially love the linen skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, and great projects! I sewed up a storm in January. 0 in/12.75 yards out! BOOM! I have already bought a little fabric in February though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I hope you blog it at some point.

      Delete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!