Shortly after making my first M7353, I made a second one. Again I used a straight size 14 (though the size chart would have me in a size 20). This one used up two yards of purple rayon/lycra from the stash, bought as a pre-cut from Fabric Mart earlier in 2017. The fabric was a bit less stable than the fabric I used for my striped version, and so the dress turned out quite a bit larger than the first one on top. I took it in a lot from the top of the waistband up to the underarm and down to the sleeve hem.
I wanted to do a double-layer cowl but I didn't have enough fabric. I did widen the cowl about 2" at its widest part, tapering to nothing at the back (again because of fabric shortage). It didn't make enough of a difference. It needs more width and substance all the way around; and definitely two layers of fabric. If I do sew this again, I'd really like to draft a more substantial cowl. But although I have been wearing both of the dresses I sewed from this pattern a lot, I'm not sure I need more than two of them. I actually kind of wish I had just made the regular banded neckline view for this dress.
I also lengthened the bodice by a total of 1" this time and I think it's just right. I've been wearing the dress a lot; it's really cozy layered with my newest Blackwood cardigan.
If you look closely you can see that the skirt is seamed in back - that is due to fabric shortage. I actually ended up making the skirt an inch or two narrower than the pattern calls for, but again this was not a big deal due to the amount of ease in the pattern.
It's a very comfortable and easy-to-throw-on kind of a dress, and it's light enough that I'll be able to wear it in the spring without leggings and boots, too. I actually ended up wearing it for Christmas because I didn't have time to make anything else. Nothing else to say about this one!
This is the last of my 2017 projects; from here on out, everything posted will be a 2018 make.
Thanks for reading, and see you next time!