Funny story about the fabric. The temperature briefly dipped into the 40s a few weeks ago, and I felt miserably cold. I know, mid-40s isn't really that cold, but I am a naturally cold person, plus I'm a bit anemic, and that particular week, 40s may as well have been 10s. One night after my husband came home, I couldn't take it anymore. I told him I had to go buy flannel ASAP and I took off to Joann's at 8 p.m. I haven't bought apparel flannel there before, and my expectations were quite low, so I was really excited to find a bolt of this stuff. I can't find it on the web site, but it was one of only two 55" flannels on the shelf; most of the other apparel flannels are 41"-ish wide. Plus it was the same price as the narrower flannels, and of course it was on sale. I came home and washed and dried it three times, and was astounded when it came out of the wash pill-free. It didn't even shrink that much. So, I'm sorry I can't find it online, but if you see it in store you can buy with confidence.
I spent about an hour cutting my fabric, including lengthening the overall length by about 6" and narrowing the sleeve from the wrist to the elbow after comparing it to my Gallery Tunic pattern sleeve. I thought I was careful in my cutting, and of course, I've made this shirt four times before with great results. But somehow, my darts ended up way too low. I have no idea what happened - I must not have had the fabric completely smoothed out while cutting, but I wasn't any hastier than I normally am. When I tried on the shirt before sewing on my pockets, I was very bummed. The too-low darts really made a huge difference in the fit and it just wasn't the pattern I loved anymore.
However, I needed this flannel coziness in my wardrobe ASAP, so I just kept on trucking. I had planned to make pockets anyway, and so I decided to make them extra huge to hide my darts. I also placed them strategically to mitigate the poor-fit wrinkles as much as possible.
My cutting error wasn't limited to the dart. Somehow this shirt also just ended up way too big. Part of it was the improper dart placement, and part of it could be the way this thicker flannel behaves, but there was also just a lot of excess fabric. I also think that I made my initial full bicep adjustment too large; I will need to remedy that before I make Bonn #6.
So on this shirt, I ended up taking it in about an inch, starting about 1.5" below the bust dart all the way up through the sleeve, ending slightly above my elbow crease. The sleeves in this shirt are set in, so the adjustment was a bit sloppy as I didn't do it the "right way" by unpicking the sleeve; I just sewed straight over the seam.
I guess we can call this a "Make It Work" shirt. The bad dart makes it feel a little sloppy, but it is so comfortable that I've worn it a bunch since it came off the machine.
As an aside, I'd like to mention that we lived in Moscow, Russia, not too long ago, and I was not nearly as wimpy about cold weather then, as I am now. I think that I just used up all my cold tolerance during those two years when I forced myself to take the then-baby girls for walks in their stroller every day as long as the temperature was above 14F. And now I'm done.
Thanks for reading, stay warm, and I'll see you next time.