But I got it done, and I am not sure that would have happened without the external motivation of Kids Clothes Week. Here is the final batch.
For Niko, a rash guard using the Oliver+S Field Trip pattern in size 12-18 months and a pair of Euro Swim Trunks.
The trunks pattern comes in sizes 2T-5T, so I graded the pattern down to a 12-month size by chopping off 1/4" on all seams (this is the difference between the sizes in the pattern). When I was done, the rise was a bit low. So instead of folding over the waist and using elastic, I made a yoga band. I cut my fabric about 2.5" by 14" and then stretched it to fit. It works very nicely and I think it will be more comfortable for him than an elastic waist.
I overstitched the curve; it's hard to see in the photo (that orange is hard to photograph in the morning!), but I love how it looks.
All fabrics are from The Fabric Fairy. I don't love the orange; even the "matte" side of it is too shiny for my taste, and it was really slippery and hard to sew. But I do love how it looks with the aqua gingham. For these projects, I bought a half yard of each fabric (plus a half yard of the red I used in Gabriel's set), and I got two rash guards and four pairs of trunks out of them, plus I have enough left to make a few more things. While the kids are small I definitely prefer to buy swimsuit fabric from places that will sell it by the half yard.
Moving on, I made coordinating trunks in the navy gingham and the orange for both boys. They both have store-bought rash guards that will go with these so I didn't bother making more rash guards. Again I made a yoga waist for Niko's pair. For G's (again in a 4T with 19" elastic), I used the stripe variation of the Euro trunks pattern. I figured I should switch it up, but the curve is still my favorite.