A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Striped Metro T-Shirt Turtleneck Hack and Tutorial

I'm sharing a tutorial for adding a turtleneck to any t-shirt pattern on the Oliver + S blog. If you're looking for the tutorial, click over there.  If you're interested in fitting details about this Liesl + Co. Metro Tee that I hacked into a turtleneck, keep reading. I'll link to the tutorial again at the bottom of the post.




This particular turtleneck is made of rayon/lycra jersey I bought earlier this year from Fabric Mart. I used the same pattern pieces I used to do my experiment on whether you can substitute a narrow shoulder adjustment on a larger size, for a full bust adjustment on a smaller size.

I drafted the size large according to my high bust measurement: 40". In addition to a 1/4" narrow shoulder adjustment, the pattern pieces also incorporate a 5/8" high round back adjustment, a 1/2" forward shoulder adjustment, and a 1 1/4" full bicep adjustment.

I really like the resulting fit. It's loose enough that I don't feel like I need to suck in my belly all day long, while still feeling trim and flattering. I think it has a close enough fit in the shoulders and bust, while skimming the belly and hips. I also think that rayon/lycra is just about the perfect fabric to use for this pattern.  The version I made in a cotton rib knit feels a bit slouchier because it doesn't drape as nicely.



That's about all there is to say about this top. If you want to check out the tutorial on how to draft a turtleneck for an existing t-shirt pattern, click here.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!