A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Friday, January 4, 2019

Top 5 Misses of 2018


My 2018 sewing wasn't particularly interesting, but I ended up with a lot of pieces that got a lot of wear.  Choosing my top 5 misses was relatively easy, then, as a few things I made just didn't get worn very much.



My Blank Slate Catalina dress.  I made several muslins but just never got the fit worked out to my satisfaction. I wore this dress exactly once. Pity too, because the fabric (tencel twill) is lovely and wasn't cheap.


A cropped Blackwood cardigan. This fabric just has a bit too much body for the pattern, I think, and the sleeves are a bit tight. I often put this on only take it right off again. It's still in my closet because I haven't given up hope that I will stumble upon the right way to style it.


The sleeves of this cotton/lycra Plantain tee came out too tight. I wear it to sleep sometimes but it's not very comfortable.


The mustard Plantain tee isn't my color, plus the fabric is just kind of icky. I wear it once in a while but always feel sloppy in it.


This Plantain tee looks better in person than it does in these photos, but the color is a bit blah for me.  Plus the fabric is a bit thin, so it shows all the lumps and bumps. The tee makes me feel exposed, so I don't really wear it.


All my fails came down to fabric choice or poor fit - and four of five are knits.  I made five Plantain tees last year and they all fit a little differently because of the difference in stretch percentages and fabric content (and three of them made it into the "fails" category).  I find sourcing knits to be very hit or miss, because I do most of my fabric shopping online.  That won't change anytime soon, so I guess I ought to expect more knit fails in the future.

As always, thanks for reading, and see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!