A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Wednesday, November 6, 2019

October 2019

October was nuts. We had a birthday, a trip to the Amazon and our 12th anniversary. I had been in a bit of sewing rut, but this month pulled me out of it.  I made a few things for myself and sewed a lot for my kids, which was one of my goals for this year.

This post contains affiliate links, all of which are clearly marked where they appear. If you click on an affiliate link, I'll make a small commission at no additional cost to you.

Projects completed:

A rayon challis leopard-print Simplicity 1059 dress. 2.5 yards used of fabric that I bought in August.

I drafted a child's long-sleeved woven tunic pattern and sewed up two for my sons to wear on our trip to the Colombian Amazon. 1 yard used of each of two different stashed fabrics, one of which was purchased this year.

Two pairs of Art Museum pants for my sons in size 5 with the length of a 7 and a size 3T with the length of a 4. 2 yards used  of twill that I bought last month for this purpose, plus scraps of shirting for the back pocket bags and waistband facing.

New Look 6582 using 1.5 yards of rayon challis that's been in the stash for many years.

Two pairs of fleece mittens from Little Things to Sew (affiliate link). I decided to sew these entirely by hand just to see if I could. It actually didn't take long. This book with the pattern is out of print, though Amazon has a few copies for sale. Oliver+S has released some of the patterns in PDF through their shop, but the mittens pattern isn't one of them. There are some other really cute patterns in the book. .25 yards used.

Two pairs of pajamas for my daughters using two patterns from Oliver+S - the Playtime leggings and the School Bus T-Shirt. Both pairs of leggings are a size 7, though I should have sized up to the 8 for Z.  I added a 3" cuff to Z's size 7 length due to lack of fabric. I lengthened N's pair by 4.5", and widened the hemline to be the same width as the pants at the leg notch, which gives them a shape more like yoga pants. 

The tops are School Bus T-Shirts in the size 8 with the length of a 10. I had to piece N's sleeves and the back of Z's bodice due to lack of fabric. Gone are the days when I can get a pair of girl pjs out of 1.5 yards of knit! I added cuffs to Z's sleeves to give some extra length as well. I used a scrap of cotton/lycra jersey for the neckbands since these Doodles knits from Joann's don't have the best recovery. I used up two cuts of the novelty prints I bought at Joann's this summer: 3.5 yards.

I sewed up a McCalls 7435 from a pattern I've had for years, using the interlock I bought in August. 2 yards used.

Alterations: I took in my McCalls 6966 cardigan 1" through the side seams. It was too big and looking a little sloppy.

Fabric Purchases:

2 yards leopard print ponte knit and 2 yards shiny sparkly ponte knit to make leggings for my daughters.
2 yards cotton/lycra sweatshirting.
3 yards cotton/lycra jerseys for pjs for my oldest son.

Fabric In/Out:

October Fabric In: 9 yards
October Fabric Out: 13.75 yards
YTD Fabric In: 90.54 yards (of which I have sewn 38.48 yards, or 42.5 percent)
YTD Fabric Out: 99.49 yards.


  1. Your October sewing all looks amazing! I especially like the dress.

  2. That Doodles fabric is cute, but I've only ever made a nightshirt out of it.


Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!