A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Friday, August 30, 2019

July and August 2019

There was no sewing this month.  Instead, I bought 23 patterns and nearly 22 yards of fabric.




My girls like fun prints on their clothing, and they both prefer to wear knits.  I don't find a lot of prints that they like at my usual online fabric haunts, so I stocked up at Joanne's and Hobby Lobby when I was back in the U.S.  I bought regular yardage and some remnants that I found for a total of 9.89 yards, pictured in the bottom two rows above.

The ice cream print is to make a pair of PJs for my oldest, to replace a her favorite outgrown pair that was printed with cupcakes. I think the citrus print will also be a pair of pjs for Z.  The florals, the horses and the dots will be t-shirts.

I also made two Fabric Mart orders this month.  The second order hasn't come yet, but you can see the leopard rayon challis (2.5 yards) and the floral ITY (3 yards) I bought in the top row of the fabric picture.  I'm thinking of using the leopard print for Simplicity 8830 (afflink), which I also bought while in the States (more on that below).  Though I'm not sure that a challis dress is the best piece to add to my wardrobe in Bogota weather, though.  A long-sleeved top might get more wear.

Simplicity Sewing Pattern S8830 Mimi G Misses'/Miss Petite Shirtdress

The ITY will become a dress.  I have to make a dress for my brother's wedding this fall, and I was thinking of doing a long-sleeved version of Simplicity 1059 (afflink), since my first try with the pattern was such a success. I'm not sure if this is the print I want to wear to the wedding, though.  The other contender is Simplicity 8925.  I love the drapey sleeves on that dress.


 
Also on the way is 3 yards of a navy blue cotton/tencel chambray, which I'm considering for a Zadie Jumpsuit. I still don't own that pattern but I've been growing more and more interested in it as I see versions pop up on IG.


I also bought this fire opal stretch interlock; I'm not sure what it's going to become but I really loved the color.  I need new knit tops, or it might be a cardigan.


And I bought 1.5 yards of black cotton/lycra jersey to make a pair of leggings for N.

I also took advantage of the pattern sales at Joann's and stocked up while I was in the U.S. Here is what I bought.  The first picture is patterns I bought for my girls.


For me, I bought these:


I'm definitely planning to make all the sleeved dresses and the Burnside dress (Simplicity 8641) this year.


I can't wait to make Butterick 6684; I think the photographed view will make a great top for work or going out.  I have some white rayon crepe I'm going to use to test it out.  I also really want to make the Simplicity pants in the upper right corner soon. The jumpsuit pattern I think I bought in error - there's a giant red circle that says it's a petite pattern, and I'm definitely not petite.


These are the final patterns I bought. I was really excited about them all when I first bought them, but looking at them now, the only one that's on my priority list is the cardigan. I'm sure I'll get around to some of the others eventually.  But for $2 each, I figured I'd rather have them in the stash while I'm out of range of a Joann's for the next year.

And that's about all I have to report for July and August.

FABRIC IN/OUT

July/August Fabric In: 21.89 yards
July/August Fabric Out: 0 yards.
YTD Fabric In: 73.54 (of which I have sewn 27.48 yards).
YTD Fabric Out: 67.85

Thanks for reading, and I'll see you next time!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do with all of this gorgeousness!! I counted up my year and I'm neck and neck as well, just breaking even. So much for making a big dent in my stash!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!