I showed the pattern to N, and she also loved the bow view. We agreed that I'd sew it out of some shot cotton shirting I had in the stash (previously used here and here; I'm down to my last half-yard, which I am saving for pocket linings on future jeans).
N is seven years old, super-skinny and tallish for her age. I sewed a size 5 with the length of an 8. Even going down to a 5 width, the bodice was much too wide. I ended up taking in the bodice side seams under the arm a full inch on each side (4" total removed in circumference!), tapering to nothing at the skirt seam. The size 8 was just a bit short for my taste, so I ended up cutting out a hem facing to preserve length. I'm quite pleased with the fit now.
I sewed the cap sleeve, which I found a little fiddly to set in as there is no easing at all. A tiny bit of easing would have made it go in more easily, I think, and I'd like just a little poof at the sleeve cap. This is a really minor detail, though, and I still love the dress.
I ended up adding some velvet/crochet lace trim from the stash to the front of the bodice. I bought this trim in three colors, ages ago, probably from Fabric.com, and it was perfect. I recently gave away more than half my stash in a decluttering frenzy, but finding this trim post-purge reminds me that it's not a terrible thing to stash a really unusual bit of trim or fabric when I see it. I just need to be a bit more selective in what I choose.
My invisible zipper went in pretty well ... because, as it turns out, my regular zipper foot ... is actually an invisible zipper foot. It came with my machine (an eBay purchase) six years ago. I didn't really know what invisible zips were at the time, nor that they had their own special foot, so all this time I've been using that foot as a regular zipper foot (i.e. not stitching through the hole down the middle), and then killing myself when I do try to set in an invisible zip ... because I'm not using the foot the right way.
The construction of the dress was straightforward yet elegant. The bodice is fully lined for a clean finish and the lining is attached at the zip by machine, not by hand. I could have French seamed the skirt for a clean finish there, but the seam allowances are only 3/8" and I didn't think ahead at the cutting stage. The sewing did take some time, and so it was one of only two makes I eked out for Kids Clothes Week this year. I think it was well worth the time, and N loves it. And really, that's the most important thing.