For the first one, I used a 1.5-yard cut of a J. Crew polyester jacquard stripe knit acquired last year from Fabric Mart. I had bought it to make a slouchy t-shirt, but the lace stripes were a lot more see-through in person than I thought they would be. So the fabric went back into the stash to await its destiny. When I came across it in late May, inspiration struck. Sheer fabric isn't a problem if you're always going to wear it over something. So a cardigan it had to be.
I could have sewn this up in an afternoon after the pieces were cut, but I spent a couple of days considering what to do about the button bands. Originally I cut an interfaced band out of a different fabric, but when I went to put in buttonholes I didn't like the way the wide black band looked with the lace. After a few days' consideration, I cut the band off (unpicking black stitches on black fabric? No thanks!) and added a thinner band of self-fabric, no interfacing, no buttons or buttonholes. As a result, the cardigan is smaller. I can close it at the top with a pin. I like how it looks open when I arrange it just-so, but as you can see, the fabric is so floppy that it doesn't stay just-so.
It's a size 12, just like my first one. This fabric is a lot less stretchy than the French terry I used last time, so it's a closer fit. I sewed the whole thing entirely on my serger and coverstitch machine. I did not add the sleeve bands, instead just turned up and coverstitched with a 1/2" hem. I also lowered the neckline by about 3/4".
I recently wore the cardigan on a date night to the movies. It is the perfect weight for the theater - I would have been cold wearing just the t-shirt, but a heavier cardigan would have been too much. So, although it won't stay on straight without a pin, it has already gotten a lot of wear.
As the cardigan corner of my closet is still fairly empty, earlier this month, I made a green Lisbon out of this beautiful bamboo/lycra jersey knit. There was a fluke on the Fabric Mart web site a month or two ago, where this color of the fabric was briefly (and probably accidentally) on sale for $1.80 a yard. I bought three yards. I would have bought more, but I felt bad, like I was cheating the company or something. Later that day the price went back up to $11.99/yard but Fabric Mart honored my order, which was nice of them.
Anyway, I sewed up the cardigan in the 12 graded to the 14, just as I had the previous two times. I tried it on and was ... totally disappointed. It was way too big. Fabric choice plays such a huge role in how knits fit, and I guess the drape of the bamboo meant that I should have cut a smaller size.
Trouble was, not only had I serged all my bands on AND sewed the buttonholes and buttons on, but I had coverstitched the bottom band, too. It was well and stitched together. I was so mad. I threw the cardigan down the basement stairs and went to bed. I thought about starting over (after all, the fabric was less than $2 a yard), but I wanted to save the rest of the green fabric for another top down the road. So over the course of three days, I slowly picked out my stitching and then took my side seams in 1/2" from hem to sleeve.
MUCH better. I do wish the shoulders were narrower, but I'm not picking out any more stitches. The good thing is, now that I've sewn three of these in different knits, I should have a better idea in the future whether to cut the 12 or a smaller size, based on the fabric I am using. And given how often I reach for these, I could easily use three or four more of them.
Also seen in these photos - a new Kirsten Kimono tee (size medium with my 5" FBA and hips graded to an XL) in cotton/lycra from Fabric Mart. I wore this outfit to church last week and felt cute. It was a good day :)
I'm including the next photo (taken by my 3-year-old son) because it is the truest to the color of the fabric.
I'm currently trying to decide what color fabrics to order for my next few Lisbons. I'm thinking a deep peacock blue, and maybe a yellow if I can find the right shade. I love this pattern!