A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

February 2020

How is it already March? We're moving in less than three months and I have so much to do! Busy-ness notwithstanding, I managed to sew a few things this month. I'm also trying to make some plans for what I would like to sew before I lose my machines for three months, or I am afraid I won't get anything done. I haven't finalized a list, but here are some ideas:

  • A new pair of Liana Jeans using the Cone Mills Denim that has been in my stash for at least three years.
  • Some new tops for my girls using knits that are already in the stash.
  • A few tees for me using knits that I bought during my remnant shopping spree last month.
  • Summer pjs for my boys using knits that are already in the stash.
  • I really want to make myself a button-down shirt using gingham I bought last year, but I don't think I'm going to get to that before the move.
I did not buy any fabric this month, but I did receive free fabric from Minerva for being a Minerva Maker. Both of the projects I made for myself were sewn up using that fabric, and I'll be blogging about the pieces later on for Minerva. 

Projects Completed

This is Simplicity A1228 (afflink), which has no reviews anywhere online, probably because of the cray-cray sizing on this pattern. This is the XXS. I am in between the M and L according to the size chart. Again, this is an XXS.

Anyway, I made this using 2 yards of a waffle knit I got from Minerva. I had actually ordered the knit to become a henley for my husband, but the waffle was quite a bit larger than I was expecting, and the hand of the fabric wasn't really suited for a henley. It's great for this pattern, though. I've been wearing the jacket almost every day since I made it, including in bed before I go to sleep because our apartment is so chilly.

I made this Simplicity 2246 (Lisette Traveler Dress), which is sadly out of print (but there are copies available on Etsy and Ebay). It's a great pattern that I've made four times before and I'm sure I'll make many more times. This used up 3 yards of a cotton shirting Minerva sent me.

I made view A with 3.5" added to the hem length. I cut the size 14 shoulder with an FBA, graded to a 16 waist and hip, and with a size 16 armscye and sleeve (I also sewed the sleeve and the upper bodice with a 1/4" seam allowance for a bit more room).  I also did a wider hem than the pattern calls for, turning up 1/2", then 1" I lengthened the dress a total of 3.5". I am 5/8".  I love this dress!

Finally, I made a fleece no-pattern poncho for my daughter using about 2/3 of a yard of leopard print fleece that was in my stash.  She loves it. Win.

Fabric In/Out

February Fabric In: 5 yards
February Fabric Out: 5.67 yards
YTD Fabric In: 12.3 yards
YTD Fabric Out: 18.85 yards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!