A sewing blog about building a functional, cohesive handmade wardrobe, one garment at a time.

Monday, June 25, 2018

Cropped Blackwood Jacket

Cropped orange wool jersey jacket made from the Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan pattern.

This is one of those instances where the garment told me what it wanted to be as I was going along.



I had set out to make a Blackwood Cardigan (the shorter length) out of this wool/cotton/lycra jersey that has been in my stash for a couple of years.  Like on my last few Blackwoods, I cut a Medium shoulder, grading out to the XL under the armscye.  I also added about 3/8" to the sides of the sleeves at the armscye, tapering to nothing at the elbow.  As it turns out, this was not enough room in the sleeves for this fabric.  The perils of working with knits that have varying stretch percentages ...

Cropped orange wool jersey jacket made from the Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan pattern.

Also, I think I really just need to redraft my sleeve pattern piece with a 1" - maybe 1.25" full bicep adjustment.

When I went to put the bottom band on, it was somehow slightly shorter than the hem of the bodice, and it puckered strangely.  I cut it off and was getting ready to cut a second band and reattach, when it occurred to me to leave the cardigan short.  I ended up hemming it up 1/2", and then cutting my neckband to size.

Cropped orange wool jersey jacket made from the Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan pattern.

The lack of drape of the fabric means that the garment has more structure and functions more like a little jacket than a cardigan.  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, though I'd like a bit more room in the sleeve.  I have enough fabric left to recut three-quarter length sleeves, and I might do that later.

I'd call this a quasi-successful garment. I love it in theory and can think of a great many garments in my closet that I'd like to pair it with - but I just don't think it looks great on me. I probably need to do some more wardrobe experimentation.

Cropped orange wool jersey jacket made from the Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan pattern.

Thanks for reading, and see you next time!

Cropped orange wool jersey jacket made from the Helen's Closet Blackwood Cardigan pattern.



7 comments:

  1. I think it is a good look for you! (But I'm also aware of what looks great on a photograph doesn't always feel great in person). The color is really vibrant with your skin tone, and I like the fit a lot. I hope you can find a way to like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just seeing this comment now because Blogger stopped sending comments to my email for moderation. The jacket is still in my closet but I rarely wear it - the tight sleeves mean that I can only wear short-sleeved things under it, and the fabric is just a tad itchy.

      Delete
  2. Gee! I love it! The length, the color and the drape are great. Very flattering with the lovely dress you are wearing. I need this pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great on you! The colour is great with your skin tone and it goes so well with the dress you have on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, see, I think it looks great on you! I like it with this dress. Great color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's just a bit uncomfortable, though.

      Delete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!