They are McCall's 7364, sewn out of this always-reliable slub linen from Joann's. I had in mind a particular idea for the pants I wanted, and this basic pattern seemed something that was pretty close and that I could tinker with until I got them where I wanted them. I liked the shape of the pant on the pattern envelope, as well as the front pocket on the shorts view. I knew I didn't want a drawstring waist (I never find that they stay up), but I planned to put a knit yoga waistband on the pants anyway.
So I made view E, the long pants, but with the pockets of view A, and I ended up cropping them a few inches. I cut a size XL according to my measurements (which correspond with a 20 - the XL is 20/22) and they were way too big. I should have taken a photo because my muslin looked like legit clown pants. I ended up cutting down the side seams to about the size L and then continued trying on the pants, pinning, and resewing the seams. From the size L, I made the following adjustments, some in the muslin phase, and others to the final pants while in progress:
- Took in the side seams evenly at about mid-hip down to my knee by 3/8".
- Took in just the back piece side seam about 1" starting at mid-hip and ending a few inches above the hem.
- Raised the back by 1" at center and shortened the front rise by 1".
- Scooped out the back crotch curve by about 3/8".
- Took in both the front and back center seams by about 1" at the top, tapering to nothing halfway down.
- Took in just the back inseam by 1" at the crotch curve, tapering to nothing about 8" or so down.
I realized after washing and putting on these pants again, though, that I had done a lot of my alterations after the pants had already bagged out quite a bit - being linen, there is no recovery. So the just-out-of-the-wash pants (photographed with an olive green tank top) are a touch tight in the thighs. They do relax into the shape I want relatively quickly (see all the other photos).
My finished yoga band, made of cotton/lycra rib, is about 2" wide, and threaded through with 2" wide elastic. It's very comfortable and stays put. I originally tried to make a knit-fabric-only band that was wider (you can see it in the photo below, of the pants after I've worn them a bit), but they didn't stay up. So I had to cut the band down to fit the elastic I had.
I loved the shape, the length, and the breezy linen. The bum is a little baggy as seen below, but I always wear a longer top with them, so no one is looking at this view.
The back pockets are a bit too small; if I make these again I should enlarge them. But I really like the shape of the front pockets.
Thanks for reading, and see you next time.