After sewing a variety of different knit top patterns, I am at the point where I automatically cut a smaller size in the shoulder and then grade out to my full bust measurement under the armscye. I did the same on this tank, but I shouldn't have.
I made two muslins using a rayon jersey that turned out to have really crummy recovery. The size 8 (which matches my high bust) shoulder didn't cover my bra straps. I was worried that the size 16 (which matches my full bust, and to which I graded at the bottom of the armscye) would gape in the neckline, so I just widened the size 8 strap a little and added some fabric in the armpit for this version. I kept the depth of the size 8 armscye, since i found on my muslins that the size 16 definitely let my bra band hang out. I also botched a forward shoulder adjustment on this version, causing the front of the top to ride up. I actually still like it quite a bit. The fabric is an ITY knit from Joann's, and I love the print.
After that, I took a deep breath and retraced a straight size 16. I did a 3/8" forward shoulder adjustment and raised the armscye to the depth of the size 8 again. And what do you know, it was perfect! I was shocked - I am never a straight size in the shoulders and bust, even in knit tops! It's perfect. I love the length, the fitted top and the swingy bottom. I find that a lot of swingy top patterns start their swing too far up the bust, causing a tent effect, but this pattern is nicely shaped all the way through the bust which makes it both comfortable and flattering.
I only have one quibble with the pattern. It is flared from the waist through the hem, but the hem allowance flares away from the shirt even more. This means that there is too much ease in the hem allowance, causing the hem to flutter if you stretch it to fit. I think the hem allowance should angle inward so that when you fold it up, it is the same width as the top. This is an easy enough fix for future sews, though.
I also made the linen pants I am wearing in the photo; I'll be blogging those later on. I made all three items to wear together, so I guess this is a microcapsule. And I'm hoping to make a couple more of these tanks before we head to the beach in August. Thanks for reading and see you next time!