Apologies for the dreary photos. My usual photographer is still in the hospital and my outdoor timer photos stink. Mirror pics are on the menu until further notice.
As I mentioned in my last post, not much fits these days, so I've focused my limited and erratic sewing time on quick pieces for myself.
I'd been wanting to try a quarter-circle skirt for ages, ever since I read that it was comparable in fit to my beloved basic a-line skirt. I used the By Hand London calculator to make my pattern. The fabric is a thrift-store denim (2.5 yards for $5 - score!).
(I'm wearing it here with one of the Kirsten Kimono tees I made while pregnant.)
I like the drape of the skirt, but I don't the think the quarter-circle will replace the a-line skirt for me. It's a little voluminous and I feel like it adds weight to my hips and thighs. I suppose it might feel less hippy in a drapier fabric, but I am not sure I will try it.
I tucked my shirt in here to show the waistband (which is a little crumpled in front since I did not interface it) but I don't generally tuck my shirts into skirts.
The back of the skirt closes with a zip and a hook-and-eye. I hemmed it with a decorative stitch in two colors.
Although my Kirsten Kimono tees are very comfortable, they are a bit tight over the postpartum wobbly bits. I went searching for a knit tank top pattern with a more forgiving fit, and found the Lady Topas pattern (free!). It features a circular yoke and a softly gathered bodice - a cute alternative to the basic tank top. The pattern is in German, which I do not speak, but it has lots of photos and is pretty easy to figure out. I could not find any reviews of the pattern in English, so I dove in and made the L according to my measurements. It fit very well out of the virtual envelope.
I used a piece of Joann Fabrics reversible rayon/cotton (mostly rayon) knit picked out of the remnant bin a couple of years ago. It has stripes on one side and dots on the other. They have it in a few colors and it is really cute, but it shrinks significantly in the wash. I pre-washed my fabric, but the shrinkage meant that I did not have enough fabric to cut a yoke facing. I was considering this a wearable muslin (and I really wanted to finish it that day) so I decided to make the yoke one layer. I used clear elastic to keep the neckline from stretching out and turned and topstitched it. It works ok but I will definitely make the yoke as written next time.
I do really like the fit and the fact that the yoke covers wide bra straps without looking matronly. I generally prefer cotton or mostly-cotton knits, but I think drapey fabric is key to the success of this top.
I am hoping to find the time to eke out another one or two of these before autumn hits.