Last night I sewed up the second fish dress out of my mom's old clothes using the Comfy Knit Dress tutorial. I am much happier with my fabric choices this time. I used a jegging fabric (left over from these jeggings) for the bodice and some scrap cotton/lycra knit for the lining. Then I used the green fish dress for the bottom. I had some thrifted buttons in the exact right shade of green.
I remembered to reinforce the shoulder seams this time, and I also shortened the straps a bit from my last dress. I still feel that it is a little low-cut, so for the next dress I plan to redraft the front bodice. I didn't notice it looking too low cut on the model when I first looked at the tutorial but upon reexamination I do think it is just drafted a little low for my taste. I plan to go back and add a green ruffle peeking out of the top of the bodice to fix the situation.
I should note that I did lengthen the straps originally, per the tutorials instructions for sizing up, however, that was necessary to ensure that the armhole was deep enough. So I will need to just draw the top of the bodice about an inch higher for the next version.
I do still really like this pattern - it sews up quickly and it is so perfect for a little girl's summer dress. After I complete the fish trilogy, I plan to sew up another couple of these dresses using some stripey knit I got at the G Street fabrics $2.97 table.
Perfect playground wear and I know it will get a lot of use at the beach later this summer!