My husband's stroke will teach us a lot of things, I am sure. Right now, though, I am learning a lesson in patience and delayed self-gratification. Having four children under 6, I thought I had already demonstrated mastery of both. But it turns out there is much more to learn.
If you had told me last year that I would be able to complete garments by sewing 30 minutes at a time, I would not have believed you. But it is possible! My sewing mostly gets done in fits and starts, and I am learning to use the heck out of a 10-minute chunk of time. Much more importantly, I am learning not to get frustrated or angry when my sewing time is cut shorter than I'd like. It all requires a great deal more patience than I previously possessed.
Today I have two more Cosi swimsuits to show you. I sewed these over a period of about three weeks. I've really enjoyed sewing swimsuits this spring and summer. My girls finally have suits that actually fit them properly, and as a result my sewing confidence is up. So when it came time for the last round of suits for the year, I decided to improvise on the pattern and make tankinis.
I could have started with one of the bikini patterns, but as I had already drafted View D (the skirted one-piece) I decided to use that one. Having chopped up view D of the suit on my last iteration, I had a good base from which to work. I used the view D pattern pieces, but lengthened the top by several inches, and raised the waist of the bottom part an inch and a half. Then I just sewed up per instructions.
Natasha's ties are blue because I had originally made blue bottoms to match, in a size 4. Those bottoms were a bit too big, however, so they became the bottoms for Z's suit. By that time N had decided she wanted bottoms that matched the top, so I dug out the striped fabric and sewed a slightly smaller set of bottoms with the leg frills, just to try them out. The frills are cute but I found them fiddly and they added quite a bit of time to construction.
For Z's suit I used an aqua swimsuit fabric I bought from FabricMart earlier this year. It is very silky but thinner and more see-through than the fabrics from The Fabric Fairy. You can especially see how thin it is on the back of her tankini top. As I was running low on lining (I bought one yard back in the spring and used it for all the suits I made this summer) I only lined the front on this one. I think was a mistake, as I don't like how you can see the bottoms through the top in the back.
She had wanted a skirted suit, but since I had to repurpose the aqua bottoms originally meant for Natasha, I decided to add a ruffle to the tankini top. The top is the same length as Natasha's but it is considerably longer on Z even though they are only about 2.5 inches apart in height. I think more of Z's height must be in her legs.