Monday, October 26, 2015

KCW - Knits for boys

I made it back to the sewing cave Sunday night and sewed up a top for each of my sons to finish out this KCW.


Niko got another knit Lullaby Layette (size 0-3 months with 6-12 mo length) shirt to match the striped leggings I made for him earlier in the week.  I didn't have enough of the Lillestoff stripes for an entire shirt, so I used some stashed orange cotton/lycra jersey for the sleeves.


I made a few modifications.  I slimmed down the shirt by cutting off about 1.5" from the sides at the hem, tapering to nothing at the bottom of the armscyes.  I cut the placket (scraps of striped linen) 1/4" wider on each side so that I'd have a wide enough placket to use my size 20 Kam snaps. And I cut my neck binding (the same linen) 2" wide instead of 1.5".  

I did not actually mean to attach the placket to the front of the shirt this time; that was a mistake but I'm happy with it.  Though Niko was not particularly happy during our photo shoot, as you can see.


(Niko's pants are O+S Art Museum pants in dove gray corduroy, from our fairy godmother.)

It took me about 70 minutes to complete the Lullaby shirt.  As it wasn't even 9 p.m. yet, I decided to sew Gabriel a Field Trip Raglan (which took about 40 minutes from cutting to hems).


Gabriel wasn't in the best of moods either this morning.


The knits are both Art Gallery from my stash.  I made him a size 3T with the length of a 4T (or so I thought), but it's a bit shorter than I'd like.  Good thing I have more of this fabric as I really like the combination.


Hemming was SUPER fun thanks to the new coverstitch machine.  It just purrs right through the hems and I have such fun streeeeeetching them between my fingers when they are complete.

6 comments:

  1. lovely combinations. You could put a band of yellow around the bottom of the raglan to lengthen it, that would look cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, a coverstitch machine?!!! I am soooo jelly! Look at that hem! These are both fantastic! You should take a look at Ottobre (if you haven't already) - tons of great knit patterns for boys (and girls), with a focus of fun coverstitch finishes that you can now handle no prob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have yet to dip my toe in the world of Ottobre but this sounds very tempting! Knits 4eva!

      Delete
  3. I'm with Inder, totally jealous of the coverstitch machine. So do you have a serger? Do I need one if I have a serger? Man, your finishing looks great! These look so pro! {{high five}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Yes, I do have a serger. The coverstitch makes a gorgeous stretchy hem, which obviously my serger wouldn't do, and which I was unable to achieve any which way I tried to sew it. Since I sew knits so much, it is proving really worth the investment!

      Delete
  4. Both of those shirts are super cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!