During my swimsuit-making frenzy, I made one more set of swim trunks for Gabriel. That brings my count to seven swimsuits this year! Given the number of little people running around my house, I'd say it's safe to say I'll be sewing as many suits every year. Good thing I enjoy it.
I used the Euro Swim Trunks pattern from Running With Scissors in size 3T. After I'd ordered it I noticed that the Peekaboo Patterns Monaco Swim Trunks pattern is very similar, and has a much wider size range (3mo-12 as opposed to the Euro's 2T-5). It doesn't have the cute curve variation that I used here, but I may buy it next year so that I can make a pair for Niko.
The royal blue is a sturdy nylon/lycra, bought during the month that I passed Hancock Fabrics every day on my way to visit my husband in the rehab hospital. The aqua contrast is from the same FabricMart yardage that I used for Z's tankini. The royal blue is very stable for a 4-way stretch, while the aqua is a lot thinner and silkier. I was worried about how they would work together, but they paired just fine.
The rash guard is from the thrift store. Next year I would like to try making my own. Others have done it to good effect using the Oliver+S Field Trip, a pattern I already own and love.
These were a super-quick sew using my serger. My zigzag hemming has already started to come loose (grrrrr), but I plan to fix that with the coverstitch machine (!!!!!) I got for my birthday. It's still sitting in the box at home and I am not sure when I will have time to play with it. Its mere presence, though, helps me be less frustrated hemming knits. I know I'll be able to redo the hems when they break.
In any case, they are stinking adorable and I plan to make most, if not all, of his swimsuits like these as long as he will let me.