Monday, May 18, 2015

Flowers and Stripes: Cosi Swimsuits #2 and 3

Right after sewing my first Cosi swimsuit I logged onto The Fabric Fairy looking for more swimsuit fabric.  I immediately fell in love with this gorgeous black kimono floral print and went looking for a stripe to pair with it (sadly, it looks like both fabrics are out of stock now). 

 

I bought the fabrics with View A of the pattern in mind and got sewing immediately after the fabric arrived.  I lined the suit with some swimsuit lining fabric that I also bought at The Fabric Fairy.


I sewed a straight size 5 for little sister and it fits well except in the bum.  She always rocks a wedgie at the beach and she's got one (though it isn't near as dramatic) in this suit. I'm not planning to post close-up photos of her hind parts on the Internet, so you'll just have to take my word for it. After sewing this suit I think I've finally realized that the kid just has a bit more junk in the trunk than the average 4-year-old.  I will alter the pattern to add more coverage next time I sew this for her.



She is very happy with the suit, as am I, but the fabric is a little disappointing.  After the first wear that coveted floral print developed white pills all over the place.  The following photo was taken after the suit had been worn just five times.  The stripe held up just fine.


Big sister was not deterred by the pills and requested a skirted suit made entirely of the floral fabric.  So I got to work on View D in a size 3 lengthened to a 6, which is the same size I used last time.  I couldn't find the pattern pieces I had made when I sewed View C for her, so I needed to do the pattern adjustments all over again.  I clearly did something wrong, because the suit is just a bit too short in the torso.



The sprayground photos were taken on Saturday morning.  I spent the rest of the day mulling over what to do, and ultimately decided to chop it in half and make a two piece.  It didn't take long, but it was a bit more difficult than I'd anticipated to cut two layers of slidy, stretchy fabric across the torso evenly. 


I chopped it about 2" above the skirt seam, and then used 3/8" swimsuit elastic for the waistband.  I like my girls' tankinis on the modest side, so I added a 4" ruffle to the top.


The proportions aren't right at all, but I think this is a decent salvage job.  I was going for wearability and I got it (also she loves it even more now that is doubly ruffly so that's a win).  I'm a bit concerned that she is going to find the serged ruffle seam to be scratchy, but she loves the print so much that she might not notice.


All's well that ends well, anyway ... I need to make one more of these for her and I think I'm going to do another tankini, but plan it a little better this time.  I also think I might up the width of her suit to a 4 and cut a true 6 length this time.

9 comments:

  1. Both the suits are so cute, and a great save on the second one! I hadn't really thought twice about the skirted cosi, but yours is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it wasn't my favorite view either. I really love View A, personally. But if it had just been long enough I think it would have been quite cute in that floral print.

      Delete
  2. The swimming suits look so great! I especially love Little Sister's one, but I love your salvage job too! My girls would love all those ruffles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are SOOOOO cute and I love your modification! Of course she's happy with double ruffles! So flouncy! I really like the floral fabric, it's a shame that it doesn't hold up well. It's always such a crap shoot whether a fabric will survive the wash well or not. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was SO disappointed about the fabric. The good thing about having two girls who need multiple suits in the same season, though, is that I can use most of it up and at least it won't be sitting in my stash taunting me in the future.

      Delete
  4. wow these are so cute! i love your mod, too! the double ruffle looks cute without being too much! perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow a job well done saving the floral number! Both swimmers are adorable, great fabric choices. I love this pattern also :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!