Preparations for Easter and Holy Week church services occupy a lot of time around here. So this year I decided to make it a little easier on myself by only sewing what was absolutely necessary. A dapper outfit for the little man was at the top of the list. So I pulled out my trusty Oliver+S Art Museum pattern. I've made this pattern in its entirety three times before (here and here), and also sewed the vest separately this year for Christmas. It comes together fairly quickly given all the neat little details.
I really like the way the stripes turn slightly on the welt pockets. I liked the effect on the gingham vests I made for my sister-in-law's wedding, too. Enough that I think I will always gravitate towards pinstripes or checks for this vest!
For the back and the lining, I used a scrap of brown chambray I had in my stash. The chambray was significantly stiffer than the linen, so to avoid any weirdness on the welt pockets I used the linen for all the pocket pieces. I did use the chambray for the pants' waistband lining and I think it helps lend a little structure to that piece.
This outfit got a lot of wear during Holy Week. I snapped the above photos on Palm Sunday, and it was worn three more times after that. Our church's actual Easter service starts at 11:30 p.m. on the eve and runs until about 2:30 a.m. The below photo was taken when we woke the kids up at 1:30 a.m. to get ready for church.
My only beef with this pattern is the length of the vest. I know to lengthen it, but this time I did not lengthen enough. I sewed a 3T with 4 length, and while the vest could really use another inch at least, the pants were way long. I left a 2" deep hem for growth but even so I had to chop off a few inches. Better too long than too short! I think I will need to slash the vest pattern the next time I use it to lengthen it, rather than just lengthening to the largest size as I have done in the past.
I am not sure whether the vest will get much more use since it is a fight to get him into it each time. The pants will see heavy rotation as church wear, hopefully for another year as I take the hem down. The outfit only cost me about $11 to make (linen was on sale and everything else was from stash), so I'm ok with that.
The only thing to add is a note about the welt pockets. I've never topstitched around them before and it hasn't been a problem. But when I washed the pants this time, the pockets came out significantly and will need a sturdy pressing to get back into shape. I may not have sewn them properly, but I suspect that the linen fabric has something to do with the problem. So I will go back and topstitch this time.