Thursday, March 12, 2015

I am alive - and I sewed a swimsuit

Yes, I am alive.  Moving + adjusting + adjusting + adjusting, and then adjusting some more ... well, it has kept me busy.  I've been sewing here and there, but there just hasn't been much time for photographing my projects, much less blogging about them.  Not only have we been settling into the new house, but we've also started homeschooling this year.  It's been an adjustment for everyone but the fact that I am typing away in my schoolroom at 9:45 on a weekday evening is a signal that perhaps things are finally calming down.  No promises about posting regularity, but we'll start with this poorly illustrated post and go from there.  Deal?

The girls started swim lessons last week.  Poor big sister, my tall and skinny 5 year old, has been wearing the same size 2 swim bottoms for the last three years.  I have paired them with thrift store tankini tops in ever enlarging sizes, but the fit just gets worse and worse.  The final straw was Monday when here swim instructor kept correcting her, um, wardrobe malfunctions.  There had to be a better way.

So today I downloaded sewpony's Cosi swimsuit pattern, dug out the swimsuit fabric I had bought years ago on clearance, and got sewing.  I needed the suit to be done in time for the next swim lesson, and I was nervous about how it was going to go, so I chose the simplest view - View C, but without leg ruffles.  I sewed a size 3 lengthened to a 6.  I fully lined it, which wasn't really as much of a pain as I had feared.

And it FITS.


There is no leg gap, no slipping neckline (and the straps are even, I swear; she's just standing funny).


The rear is entirely covered by fabric.   It wasn't until I sewed this up that I realized the problem with all those ill-fitting Target suits I bought on clearance - necklines that are too low and leg holes that are too high. So, hooray for a little girl's swimsuit that LOOKS like a little girl's swimsuit.

I may or may not have placed an order for more swimsuit fabric immediately after completing this one ... so you should see more where this came from.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks awesome!! You are so brave. I will need to work up the courage to try a swimsuit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try - it was not as scary as I had feared. My serger was key, though, since my main sewing machine hates knits. Thankfully I have another machine that I was able to topstitch with, otherwise I don't know what I would have done.

      Delete
  2. Good to *see* you again, Masha! The swimsuit looks great. The fit is great..everything covered like it's supposed to be. My oldest is built a lot like your daughter and finding one piece or tankinis in the store was (still is!) next to impossible. That's why I started sewing swimsuits. I'm looking forward to seeing more swimsuits from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - you were part of my inspiration to try sewing a swimsuit in the first place! I'm so glad I did!

      Delete
  3. Yes, it fits perfectly! Very cute suit! My oldest girl is super long and thin--thank goodness for sewing.

    I hope your adjustment to homeschooling goes smoothly! We've been hs'ing for about 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are back!! And I have toyed with the idea of making suits for my girls this year (have cute clearance fabric too) so thanks for the sewpony heads up for a appropriate suit!! Again glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely and the fit looks great on your slim daughter! love the fabric:)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!