Yes, I am alive. Moving + adjusting + adjusting + adjusting, and then adjusting some more ... well, it has kept me busy. I've been sewing here and there, but there just hasn't been much time for photographing my projects, much less blogging about them. Not only have we been settling into the new house, but we've also started homeschooling this year. It's been an adjustment for everyone but the fact that I am typing away in my schoolroom at 9:45 on a weekday evening is a signal that perhaps things are finally calming down. No promises about posting regularity, but we'll start with this poorly illustrated post and go from there. Deal?
The girls started swim lessons last week. Poor big sister, my tall and skinny 5 year old, has been wearing the same size 2 swim bottoms for the last three years. I have paired them with thrift store tankini tops in ever enlarging sizes, but the fit just gets worse and worse. The final straw was Monday when here swim instructor kept correcting her, um, wardrobe malfunctions. There had to be a better way.
So today I downloaded sewpony's Cosi swimsuit pattern, dug out the swimsuit fabric I had bought years ago on clearance, and got sewing. I needed the suit to be done in time for the next swim lesson, and I was nervous about how it was going to go, so I chose the simplest view - View C, but without leg ruffles. I sewed a size 3 lengthened to a 6. I fully lined it, which wasn't really as much of a pain as I had feared.
And it FITS.
There is no leg gap, no slipping neckline (and the straps are even, I swear; she's just standing funny).
The rear is entirely covered by fabric. It wasn't until I sewed this up that I realized the problem with all those ill-fitting Target suits I bought on clearance - necklines that are too low and leg holes that are too high. So, hooray for a little girl's swimsuit that LOOKS like a little girl's swimsuit.
I may or may not have placed an order for more swimsuit fabric immediately after completing this one ... so you should see more where this came from.