Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Costume gift sewing for boys

Recently I've done a bit of birthday-gift sewing for some of N&Z's friends.  Being in the 3-5 year range, these kids are all very into dress-up.  Sewing dress-up clothes for little girls is easy - a long princess dress, and you're done.  But some of the recent recipients have been boys, and since my own little boy is not quite 1, I needed to do some research to find out what the 4- and 5-year-old set is into.

The first gift was a Davy Crockett set.  I thought about drafting my own pattern, but in the end ordered the Oliver+S Nature Walk set.  I hadn't gotten it before because I knew my girls wouldn't be keen on it, but now that I have a boy, I knew I'd use the pattern again.


I redrafted the sleeves to make them one piece since I wouldn't be color-blocking.  I attached the neck facing to the outside of the pullover, so that I could insert some of the faux suede fringe trim underneath it.  I also redrafted the pant legs to make them each two pieces, again to facilitate the insertion of the fringe.

The fabric was a faux suede from Fabric.com and it was a ginormous pain in the patootie to sew. Toward the end my machine all but gave up and I had to finish part of it by hand.


My hard work was worth it, though - the recipient was so thrilled with his gift that he insisted upon wearing it to church the next day.  Warmed the cockles of my heart.

My next giftee, D, already had  a Davy Crockett costume, so I was back to the drawing board.  I had gone over a few possibilities in my head and was going to go with Luke Skywalker when I learned that D had recently taken to tying a blanket around his neck for use as a cape.  So I pulled out my Growing Up Sew Liberated book - a Christmas gift from several years ago which I had yet to actually sew from - and made up the Reversible Hooded Cape.

It was a very easy sew.  I used two fabrics from my stash that I had originally purchased for clothes for G - a cotton/poly velour blend from fabric.com, and a green knit.  The green knit I was sent by mistake - I had actually paid a pretty penny for a cotton interlock but I guess I didn't inspect the fabrics very carefully upon arrival or I would have quickly realized that it was a synthetic rib knit.   Unfortunately this order was placed 18 months ago so I can't really complain now.  I'm glad I was able to use it for the cape though.


The only modification I made to the cape was to omit the topstitching.  Since my fabrics were unevenly stretchy I figured my topstitching could only make the thing wonky.  I think it looks fine without it.


I made the large size, which is meant for ages 6-8.  It's a bit shorter than I had expected.  Here's my tall 4-year-old modeling it.  She wears size 5 pants for length and as you can see the cape only goes down to her knees.  I think I'd add another 6 inches to the length if I were to make it again.


D didn't really care about length, though - he was too busy running around the playground looking behind him to see the cape stream out in the breeze.  It was a hoot to watch.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! The Davy Crockett outfit is amazing. You make the best most beautiful costumes. I love the cape too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for the comments on my blog. I would write you back but you are listed as no-reply blogger so I can't. I just checked out all your projects on Ravelry and they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment! I have to figure out a few more things about this blogging business.

      Delete
  3. I love the Davy Crockett set! I am a huge fan and have been for years. Thanks for the link to the pattern, I have been looking for one like this for a while and have bought two, but never liked them enough to start the project. The princess sewing section is my favorite part of your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I am so happy you came by. Thanks for your comment!